July 2022 bbq box recipes
Looking for the best way to make barbecue at home? This guide will walk you through all the steps in starting and cooking a delicious BBQ with your July 2022 BBQ Box!
Perfect Grilled Steak
Szechuan Peppercorn Coleslaw
PERFECT GRILLED STEAK
The Perfect Grill Steak recipe combines the flavor and texture you expect from your favorite cut of steak with a herb butter finish that makes it easy to swallow on busy days. This is an easy sizzling steak recipe that’s perfect for grilling out that will leave your guests wanting more!
- 2 pc 1lb bone-in strip steaks cut 1-1/2" thick (or your steak of choice)
- vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp BBQ Steak Rub
For the Herb Butter
- 1 big pinch BBQ Steak Rub
- 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup,) softened to room temperature
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
For the Herb Butter
- Add ingredients to a bowl then stir with a fork to combine. Scoop herb butter onto a sheet of plastic wrap then shape into a thick log and refrigerate until firm (if time is of the essence you can freeze for 20-30 minutes.) Can be done ahead of time.1 big pinch BBQ Steak Rub, 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup,) softened to room temperature, 1 tbsp finely minced fresh rosemary, 1 tbsp finely minced fresh thyme, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
For the Steaks
- Trim steaks of any big hunks of fat to avoid flare ups on the grill then pat dry with a paper towel.2 pc 1lb bone-in strip steaks cut 1-1/2" thick (or your steak of choice)
- Rub each side with vegetable oil then season generously with the steak seasoning and press gently into steaks so it adheres - you should use most if not all of the seasoning.vegetable oil, 2 tbsp BBQ Steak Rub
- Light 2/3 or 1/2 of your grill burners (2 of 3 burners, or 1 of 2 burners, depending on how many burners you have) then heat on high for 10-15 minutes, or until the grill reaches 500 °F. Use your favorite Wood Chips/Pellets to add a smokey flavor to the steak.
- Add steaks to the lit side then sear on each side for 1-1/2 minutes (adjust accordingly if your steaks are bigger or smaller than 1lb cut 1-1/2" thick,) keeping the lid closed between flipping.
- Transfer steaks to an unlit portion of the grill then continue cooking for 7-10 minutes with the lid closed for medium doneness, or until they've reached your preferred level of doneness.
- Remove steaks to a platter then let rest for at least 5 minutes. Top with sliced herb butter then serve.
Steak Temperatures for Doneness:
- Rare (cool red center): 125 °F
- Medium rare (warm red center): 135 °F
- Medium (warm pink center): 145 °F
- Medium well (slightly pink center): 150 °F
- Well done (little or no pink): 160 °F
SZECHUAN PEPPERCORN COLESLAW
The Szechuan Pepper Corn Coleslaw is a flavorful, spicy, and tangy side dish that will go great with any meal. It can be served as an appetizer without dipping sauce or just by itself.
- 850 g green cabbage
- 200 g chopped dill pickle
- 150 g red cabbage
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 30 g chopped parsley
- 10 g salt
- 5 g szechuan peppercorn
- Chop and mix both cabbages, the parsley, and the pickles.
- Salt the cabbage mix.
- Mix in the BBQ sauce.
- Add szechuan peppercorn and mix thoroughly.
- Let it sit for one hour chilled in the fridge and then enjoy!
For a milder, more Southern slaw, omit the szechuan peppercorns.
This walking taco is easy to make and can be served immediately. It's also perfect for picnics or as a snack when you need something light on the go. The best part of these tacos is that they don't require any cooking at all!
- 1 bag (about 1.5 oz) corn chips
- 3 oz pulled pork
- 2 oz slaw
- 30 g BBQ sauce
- 30 g mayonnaise
- Toss chopped cabbage with mayonnaise to your taste. It can be as light or as creamy as you like your slaw.2 oz slaw, 30 g mayonnaise